Indigo Dyeing for Beginners
Dirt + Dye: Indigo Dyeing for Beginners will teach you how to create and dye with a fructose indigo vat. Each step is described in detail, including the science behind why the vat allows you to make this incredible blue pigment available to attach to fibers.
Whether you are repurposing old clothing, hand sew your own garments, spin yarn, or just want to play with cotton bandanas and simple t-shirts, you can follow these steps to set a foundation for experimenting with indigo dyeing!
This leaflet includes:
- What is an indigo vat
- Some history on indigo production and extraction
- A list of materials needed
- How to choose fiber for dyeing
- How to scour cellulose + protein fibers
- How to prepare a fructose indigo vat
- How to tell if your vat is ready
- Troubleshooting common issues
- Finishing indigo dyed items for long lasting color
- How to care for indigo dyed items
- Detailed instructions and hand-drawn illustrations for each step
This is a downloadable PDF for purchase. Due to the nature of digital downloads, refunds are not available after purchase.
- In stock, ready to ship